Re: Certification--a new concept. Discuss.

Subject: Re: Certification--a new concept. Discuss.
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:33:47 -0400

W. Kelly Oja wrote:

What I'm proposing that is different is to view a certificate not as a
license to practice, without which you are chopped liver, but as an
indication that _in addition to_ being the charming and talented fellow
you are, with all your individual, pertinent talents, you also have
broad exposure to and some knowledge of the general principles of
technical communication and you went out of your way to study and pass a
test to prove it.

And where would the fact that I went out of my way to earn a BS degree fall?

It would fall under, "BS degree required. TW certification a plus." See where I'm going with this? If the job requires a PhD in biology, then being a certified tech writer doesn't qualify you for it. Having a PhD in biology qualifies you for it. Having the tech writing certificate is an indication that maybe you can write a comprehensible document, too.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com