Re: Certification--a new concept. Discuss.

Subject: Re: Certification--a new concept. Discuss.
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 06:40:19 -0700

OK, I get the idea. The problem with this thinking is, since there's no recognized "tech writer certification," if someone were to present one
to me as a qualification, my first reaction would be to ask, "what's this
certification based on?" Once I got an itemized list of the areas the
certification tested, I would compare them to my own list of required
skills for the position and then decide if the cert meant anything to me.
In the case of a hiring manager who has no experience as a tech writer,
this would be the natural reaction even if the "tech writer certification"
was already recognized within the technical writing community. So I
don't see anything "new" about this way of looking at certification,
because that's always been the way any certificate that can ever be
devised will be evaluated by those it's presented to.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dick Margulis" <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>

The certificate says that you not only know how an airplane goes together but you also are likely to be able to write decent maintenance manuals. It does not say that an EE can write aircraft maintenance manuals or that a programmer can write test protocols for electrical devices or that an aircraft assembler can write software design specs.

That's what's different.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com