RE: Knowledge Management

Subject: RE: Knowledge Management
From: "" <rising_fawn -at- excite -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:43:17 -0400 (EDT)

A knowledge base is a special kind of database for knowledge management. It is the base for the collection of knowledge. Normally, the knowledge base consists of explicit knowledge of an organization, including trouble shooting, articles, white papers, user manuals and others. A knowledge base should have a carefully designed classification structure, content format and search engine.

The most important aspect of a knowledge base is the type of information it contains. A knowledge base that becomes a dump site of irrelevant information has its role degraded to that of an information dump. Making sure that the most up-to-date and relevant information is present in a knowledge base is essential to its success, not to mention having an excellent information retrieval system ( search engine ).

Determining what type of information, and where that information resides in a Knowledge base is something that is determined by the processes that support the system. A robust process structure is the backbone of a successful Knowledge base.

--- On Thu 07/21, John Posada < jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com > wrote:From: John Posada [mailto: jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com]To: rising_fawn -at- excite -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- comDate: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:28:07 -0700 (PDT)Subject: RE: Knowledge Management> A Knowledge Base is a database of information. The following is an
> example of a KB: http://support.microsoft.com/ or
> http://www.microsoftfrontpage.com/content/KBarticles/KBarticles.htm
>
> Verizon has a KB: http://www22.verizon.com/sitemap/
> Choose a topic to access the "knowledge base."

Rising: You're missing my point. It is because I know what a KB is
that I'm questioning your usage. Your paragraph gives a term. You are
telling me what that term means through examples, all of which by
example are different in some way from each other and none are
included in your original paragraph.

You sent me two prior examples and one had a discussion formum (to
me, it was a portal) and one was a list of articles.

You have to be able to define the term so everyone gets the same
meaning, not through example where each of us takes something
different away.

That's like using the word "automobile" to someone who has never seen
an automobile before. So you then give them an example, a 2004 Caddy.
I say Ah...an automobile is something with four handles on the
side....so what's a Porshe?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

?I can win an argument on any topic,
against any opponent. People know this,
and steer clear of me at parties.
Often, as a sign of their great respect,
they don't even invite me."
Dave Barry

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com