Re: Drawing Package Referral

Subject: Re: Drawing Package Referral
From: ginagustin -at- comcast -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:06:41 +0000

I just wanted to add that it isn't a matter of how much the software costs. The
issue here is that we can't load anything on our hard drives. The only reason I
have FrameMaker and Photoshop is because we already had these installed when IT
upgraded the system to prevent any new installations. We had to make a list at
that time of any special software that we had on our computers, otherwise any
non-approved software found on our computers would be deleted. I'm not sure if
we'll ever even be able to upgrade those applications.

IF there is a good drawing software that actually runs (without installing
ANYTHING) on the hard drive, I might be able to do this. Otherwise, I'll have
to try to convince my department to purchase the software and see if we can get
special permission to install it. Suggesting cheap, downloadable, software
won't really do any good, cuz even if it was completely free, I wouldn't be able
to install it. No matter what, I'm going to have to get special permission to
install something--even if it is some shareware. Unfortunately, the ONLY
drawing package they make available on the applications server is Visio 2000.

If Visio is completely unusuable, then I will have to resort to Plan B, which
is, identify the best, most cost-effective drawing package that can do what I
want it to, and won't produce junky output. what would you recommend? Like I
said, I've listed Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, and Canvas, but I'd like to
know which works best for the types of functions I need to do. If there are
other drawing packages you could recommend that is about the same caliber, I'd
be interested in that too.

Thanks again. I'm going to look into the www.openoffice.org suggestion. If I
can get it to run off a CD, that could be a good solution.

--gina

--
http://vinyljunkshoppe.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com