Re: technical term consistency

Subject: Re: technical term consistency
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:37:12 -0500

The largest inconsistencies seem to be the use of parenthases and en dash.

If the standard is that we eliminate confusion, then the question is
whether the inconsistency of use of the italicized terms actually
present any difficulty to follow or understand the material.

I would probably pick one of the forms now containing parentheses or
en dashes, and alter the other examples correspondingly.

However, it would seem rather difficult to say the form in the first
example is ambiguous or confusing in any way.

I presume in the original there was some sort of punctuation between
"health" and "disease" in the second example?

If these lab manuals are done in Information Mapping format or a
reasonable facsimile thereof, I'd consider pull quotes in the large
margin separately introducing definitions. That makes them easier for
the reader to find and use, and make them more memorable. Then,
collecting these definitions in a glossary makes a quick review.

David

On 7/20/05, Gretchen StahmerDemoss <gstahmer -at- vernier -dot- com> wrote:

> David,
>
> It was more the inconsistent use of italics and relevent placement of the technical term vs. layman's term or definition that concerns me. The italics didn't show up in the emails so I've marked before and after the word that the author italicized. Hopefully this will make it easier to see:

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com