Re: Anyone know of tech writers that became program/product managers?

Subject: Re: Anyone know of tech writers that became program/product managers?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 22:33:09 -0400

> When you say lifecycle do you mean the lifecycle of the features for a
> product... like "In this build, we do X, next build we do Y, and in the
> third build we realize Z?"

I'm not Bruce, but I believe he was referring to the entire life cycle
of the product, from birth to death. Program/Product Managers manage
the product, Project Managers manage the efforts going into each
release. A product Manager works most closely with engineering leads,
the project manager, marketing, sales, and plans the direction of the
product. A Project Manager works with all the area leads and tracks
project status throughout a release lifecycle.

> Good advice, but in the short term, how do you make yourself productive?

Jump in and fight fires. It's always worked for me. As you handle the
nuts and bolts, the bigger picture will become clearer as the nuts and
bolts turn to nails and screws, to epoxy and resin, and so forth.

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com