Re: Dictionaries...are physical ones obsolete?

Subject: Re: Dictionaries...are physical ones obsolete?
From: Michele <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:13:45 -0500

My house must have 10 dictionaries. When my children were younger I forced them to look up words in the dictionary and business addresses and phone numbers in the physical phone book. Around age 11 my now, 14 year old son, basically said, "Bullocks to this," and started looking everything up on the web. He's very savvy, and who knows, by the time he's in the working world maybe there won't even be hard copy dictionaries. My daughter had an Mac LC but still used a dictionary. When she was 9 (two years ago) she received a G3 for her birthday and she did the same thing as her brother, "Bullocks," and she started looking everything up online (and then having me proofread it). We also have a five year old who uses a computer, but right now only for neopets and some tank blow-em-up game.

We went to our babysitters graduation party and her mum told us that her college had a computer listed as MANDATORY on her supply list. We gave her a Kate Spade black Sam bag (not a fake), something *every* girl needs when going off to college!

I can't even imagine having to open a dictionary and look for information, the web is way faster for me. Same with application support, I'd use online help before I'd use the manuals that *used* to come with sw.

Michele

---------------
Michele E. Davis, Writer
Kraut Companies
612-824-3516
612-309-6903 (cell)
www.krautgrrl.com
www.krautboy.com
and the uber geek empyre

John Posada wrote:

I for one have a VERY large, VERY expensive dictionary that I found
at a yard sale.

I have not openned it more than 3 times in as many years. Online is
faster and most times, faster is better.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com