Re: What is _vti_cnf?

Subject: Re: What is _vti_cnf?
From: "Jerry Muelver" <jerry -at- hytext -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 07:07:42 -0500

From: "Elizabeth O'Shea"

Can anyone tell me what these _vti_cnf folders are and what purpose they
serve? Why do they need to be in the website files? I've never seen these
files before when I've looked at a website.

The "vti" files are some of the collateral trash generated by FrontPage in a Microsoftian compulsion to keep track of everything it encounters just in case the information is needed some day to obfuscate the the process, fulfill the bookkeeping requirements for the obnoxious "FrontPage extensions", and keep users locked into Microsoft. They are not need on a web site, and are spuriously regenerated by FrontPage if you delete them on a production site. You can do without them quite happily if you recode your pages in a standards-friendly authoring system like DreamWeaver, and can ignore the lot of them if you haven't used any FrontPage extensions in the original page design.

"spacer.gif".... How sad.

---- Jerry Muelver
Techwriting Patterns Wiki - http://twpats.hytext.com/

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com