RE: why does Word 2003 drops all my Table styles

Subject: RE: why does Word 2003 drops all my Table styles
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:17:09 -0700

Mike Tulloch wrote:

> I've run into all kinds of oddities with Word. To date, I've
> never found
> out why they happen or what causes them. I think they're just
> the price of
> using Word (or any other large, complex software program). :|

It seems to me that this attitude becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. If
everybody assumes that software must be buggy, and that nothing can be
done about it, then nobody should be surprised when software doesn't
improve.

Considering that most people on this list spend at least eight hours a
day with software, this seems a defeatist attitude. If nothing else,
people can vote with their feet, encouraging their companies and clients
to move away from the buggy software they complain about

And, in fact, it's not true that all complex pieces of software are
inevitably riddled with bugs. FrameMaker isn't perfect, but while using
it, I never suffered the sort of catastrophic loss of content or
formatting that happens so often in MS Word -- and I've worked on some
very large projects with it. The same goes for OpenOffice.org.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Inspiration and craft plus time and effort minus fear and doubt
multiplied by purpose equals song."
- Ray Wylie Hubbard.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com