Re: Any alternatives for WebWorks FinalDraft?

Subject: Re: Any alternatives for WebWorks FinalDraft?
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:09:34 -0400

I think you're always going to be up against this behavior to some
extent. If the reviewers download the PDF via their browser so that
they can work on it when they're not connected to the web server,
it's an inescapable fact. And if they're working while connected to
the web server, they're still going to be subject to the caching
behavior of their browser, which is going to force them to do a
refresh to see changes. But how much of an issue is this really,
unless you've got a bunch of reviewers who are trying to hold
a conversation via PDF annotations...

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

From: Walter Campbell <atypicaluser -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:44:50 -0700

Art,

Have you used that functionality much? I played with it a bit and
found the server-based reviews to be awfully awkward: reviewers had to
continually -- and manually -- download the latest batch of comments.
There seemed to be no way of pushing new comments to reviewers.

Perhaps the functionality has improved in version 7, or maybe I was
missing something in earlier versions.

--
Walt Campbell
atypicaluser (at) gmail (dot) com

On 7/12/05, Art Campbell <art -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> In earlier versions, you could post the review document on either a
> web or file server and
> everyone's comments were visible to all others...
>
> Acrobat 7 Pro still shows two methods of distribution on the Comment
> menu, email and "browser," so I think the capability is still there if
> you have a server all the reviewers can hit.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com