Re: What is Simplified English?

Subject: Re: What is Simplified English?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:28:10 -0500

I have an extensive experience with machine translation (between
English and Russian, as it happens). Following the tenets of
simplified English makes this process surprisingly effective, although
I wouldn't recommend it for technical manuals, legal documents, or
anything of critical importance. In my case, it is for correspondence.

One experiment that is always entertaining is to use machine
translation of a passage in English to another language, then to use
that output to translate back to English. The results are surprising,
often amusing, and sometimes frighening. This is easily accomplished
with the use of various Internet resources. My usual is Babelfish:
http://babelfish.altavista.com

David

On 7/12/05, Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca> wrote:

> The basic notion is that you won't always have the luxury of completely
> or even partially translating and localizing a set of documentation,
> and when that is the case, you need to produce a single English version
> that will meet the needs of all your audience, including many readers
> (often a majority) with English as a second (or third or worse)
> language

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com