Options to reform STC

Subject: Options to reform STC
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 21:28:04 -0400

to join this discussion group.)

In the meantime, as one step towards reform, it's worth noting that Peter Herbst, STC's executive director, has resigned and must soon be replaced. Joe, in cooperation with STC Fellow and past-president Saul Carliner, has devoted considerable thought to helping to ensure that the next executive director will do a better job of meeting member needs.

If you're interested in contributing to the debate, please join the discussion group and make your opinions known. And I encourage you to have a look at Joe's and Saul's letter to STC (see below) to see whether you agree. If you do, please sign the petition. More names means more chance of ensuring a change that works for everyone.

www.geoff-hart.com

You may or may not be aware that the Executive Director of STC has
resigned. The selection of the next Exec will have an enormous impact
on the future functioning of our Society. It will be the single most
important decision the current Board of Directors will make. If the
selection process is handled carefully and responsibly, this creates a
wonderful opportunity for us. If it is handled hastily and
irresponsibly, this could speed STC's downward spiral.

**The Society needs YOUR immediate assistance**

Saul Carliner and Joe Welinske have formulated a proposal for the
selection process and delivered it to President Laurent and the other
Directors. The proposal has also been prepared as a formal petition
that we ask you to review and consider:

http://www.petitiononline.com/execdir/petition.html

If you support this approach, we ask you to endorse the online
petition by this coming Sunday, July 17. We will send the signed
petition to President Laurent.

If you are a community officer or leader, we are requesting that you
consider forwarding this message to all the members of your community
via email this week. It is important for all of our fellow members to
be apprised of this situation before the search process begins.

We also encourage you to send your own thoughts regarding the
Executive Director selection process directly to President Laurent.

Thank you for caring about our Society,

Saul Carliner, Ph.D., CTDP
STC President, 1995-1996
STC Fellow since 2000

Joe Welinske
Senior Member, Nominating Chair Puget Sound Chapter Founder, Reform
STC President, WritersUA / WinWriters

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com