RE: What about a B.A./B.S. in Technical Communications?

Subject: RE: What about a B.A./B.S. in Technical Communications?
From: "Poster" <Poster -at- aurora -dot- cotse -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 15:52:34 -0400 (EDT)

Nuckols, Kenneth M said:

> To which I will simply add this: at least in the U.S. the politics of
> WHERE you earned your degree is often more important than what degree
> you earned or even the field. For instance, many TW'ers in this area
> have Journalism degrees from the University of Florida. Though the
> Central Florida area has its own local university (and one with a
> genuine TW major at the B.A. and Ph.D. levels) Orlando is very
> strongly
> "Gator Country." That paves the way for a lot of crossover by
> burned-out
> or underpaid journalists into the TW profession in this area. The UF
> degree almost guarantees them an interview even if they've never
> written
> a procedural manual or designed a website.

And for every opinion, there's bound to be a dissenting one. I've
never had a problem with going against the flow, as it were, being a
Central Florida resident and a graduate from F.I.T (now Florida Tech).
The Ivy league school names command a premium, but even that is
fading, in the age of internet degrees and on-line classes.

If it works for you, don't stop doing it. I'm just saying that I think
the allure of a school name is probably going to fade out in a few
years. That's just my .02.

~Poster

Flamebait goes to /dev/null

+ www.intaligo.com/mt +