Re: Any demands for any of the following:

Subject: Re: Any demands for any of the following:
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 09:13:54 -0700 (PDT)

On a related note, I was just noticing how many open-source tools I am
using on my current gigs. I'm not noticing any direct demand for these
tools in the sense of seeing them required in job specs. In fact, there
are usually fewer than two dozen jobs posted nationally that require
DocBook, most of them at Red Hat. But there are lots of benefits that
are more oblique.

Prior to my current gigs I had some downtime, and I used the time to
set up a DocBook toolchain. When a client called and asked if I could
do Eclipse help, I said "No problem" even though I hadn't done it
before, because I knew that was one of the DocBook outputs. I sent them
a sample by the end of the day, and got the job. When another client
called and asked if I could doc C++ and Java, I fired up doxygen and
sent them an HTML framework of their own code the next day.

I bought a new laptop that came with Windows, but I didn't really feel
like spending even more money on software, so I loaded up on Windows
versions of open-source tools, all of which I believe are also
available for Linux. So far I haven't missed the old MS/Adobe/Whatever
tools at all. I'm using:

OpenOffice.org
DocBook
doxygen