Re: Any demands for any of the following:

Subject: Re: Any demands for any of the following:
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 11:16:15 -0500

Very few shops use TeX and most who were once using SGML are now using
XML; however, the skills are largely transferable. While XML was
initially less involved than SGML, its burgeoning popularity has
brought with it many new techniques and tools so that XML may be more
complex today than SGML ever was.

DocBook is available in two flavors, both SGML and XML. More shops use
it or a derivative of it than any other XML language. For example,
much of the telecomm field uses a DocBook variant.

DocBook, however, has more than one way to do various things in its
complex tagging selection. Thus, it is quite common that a subset is
used in a given organization.

Non-DocBook XML instances, though, use skills that are highly
analogous to those needed for DocBook.

Therefore, given a choice among those three, I'd opt for DocBook XML
as a place to concentrate.

A pity about TeX, IMHO, since Lyx has many aspects that would make it
very nice as a documentation platform.

David

On 7/4/05, Mitchell Maltenfort <mmalten -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> I was browsing through the free goodies for assembling documentation
> available on my Linux box and I was wondering if any of them were in
> demand in the Tech Writing world:
>
> * SGML
> * DocBook
> * TeX or LaTeX