RE: disadvantages of angle brackets?

Subject: RE: disadvantages of angle brackets?
From: "Claire Conant" <Claire -dot- Conant -at- Digeo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 18:12:40 -0700

If you go by Microsoft Manual of Style, they advise against using
brackets - although I can't find that reference immediately (so you'll
have to check.)

Look in their book under procedures and you'll find something similar to
this - and it's how we write our procedures here.

On the Format menu, click Background, and then click More Colors.

I don't attempt to know how this works with localizing, however.

------
Personally, I find the first (angle bracket method) much easier to
follow.
In addition, if you're localizing, this will be far easier to
translate,
and could be made even easier by setting the menu terms (Format,
Background,
More Colours) as variables.

I have also seen and used:

1. Choose Format.
2. Select Background.
3. Select More Colours.

I don't much like this, either but some clients like the step-by-step
look.

All the best,
Brian

> I am wondering which style is more advantageous:
>
> Choose Format > Background > More Colors.
>
> OR
>
> On the Format menu, point to Background and click More Colors.
>
> Some Adobe products use the angle brackets, while Microsoft avoids
them.
> Is
> there any disadvantage to angle brackets?
>
> Tom

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com