RE: symbolize roles

Subject: RE: symbolize roles
From: "Wilcox, Rose" <rwilcox -at- ssqi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:40:14 -0700

> Kevin writes:

<<The nuclear or other power industries?
Telecomms operators and their suppliers (I used to
work for one...)
Petroleum distillation and other chem manufacturing?
Transit systems?

They all have big, complex systems that are administered
in hierarchical fashion.

Likely they all have "standard" symbolization for roles
and functions, but I've just been using the wrong
search terms.>>

I worked for the power industry for some years (and have also worked in
a couple of other large industries). Although the power industry is
heavily regulated and produces a great deal of documentation, based on
my experience I would think standard symbolization for roles throughout
the industry would be *unlikely*, rather than likely.

As I was exposed to various other utility companies in various U.S.
states for different projects ranging from process improvement, power
trading, power transmission, and documentation management, I noticed
only a tremendous diversity in software, procedures, tools, methods, and
standards -- including documentation. This actually also applied
*within* the utility company I worked for as well.

Although my most recent long-term exposure was to the power industry in
the U.S., based on other past experiences with major industries, what
you are seeking likely does not exist in the United States.

Does anyone know if other parts of the world have done better in this
regard?

Rose A. Wilcox
Senior Technical Writer
480-586-2645