RE: system security (was: symbolize roles)

Subject: RE: system security (was: symbolize roles)
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:16:06 -0400

Jason Willebeek-LeMair (jlemair) noted:

> Just because security through obscurity is a bad idea does
> not mean you
> have to reveal everything. You just have to realize that concealing
> capabilities is not the same as securing them.

In the context of my original question, there is one Help.
The customer gets to assign roles as they see fit, or not
bother. The desire to indicate, symbolically (in the Help),
where some command descriptions and activities were applicable
to a role or not, was nothing more than a desire to offer an
additional convenience.

The security of our product is built in, but the customer
still needs to have security protocols of their own...
like not posting the password in neon at the reception desk...
or for the units that require a physical authentication token,
not leaving that token in a candy dish beside the office door
when it isn't in use...

Most of our customers know this, which is why they seek
out suppliers like us -- they have an appreciation for
data security and know that it includes well-designed,
frequently reviewed, and rigorously implemented security policies.

Kevin

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com