RE: system security (was: symbolize roles)

Subject: RE: system security (was: symbolize roles)
From: "Jason Willebeek-LeMair \(jlemair\)" <jlemair -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:43:52 -0400

> At any rate, security by secrecy is poor security. All it takes is
> curiosity to break it...

True. But there is a difference between security through obscurity and
simply not advertising. For example, I don't broadcast my SSID on my
home wireless network. That keeps my network from showing up when folks
look to see what was out there. Is that what I rely on for security?
Heck no. But it does keep the idle curious away. If someone really
wanted to get on my network, they would have to work for it each step of
the way. Know that I have one (okay, you now know). Break my
encryption. Discover my SSID. Get past the various other filters. Kick
one of my machines off so that the router will accept another
connection. Etc. Make 'em work for it.

Just because security through obscurity is a bad idea does not mean you
have to reveal everything. You just have to realize that concealing
capabilities is not the same as securing them.

Jason

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com