RE: system security (was: symbolize roles)

Subject: RE: system security (was: symbolize roles)
From: Lori Olcott <lori_olcott -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 07:26:36 -0700 (PDT)

> The only way that this would pose a security risk is if the software
> and/or the system it runs on has lax security....

For most systems, this would be true. As I mentioned before, this would
not be an issue for many system managers. But I can easily imagine
departments that would want to not just lock the doors but to pretend that
said doors don't even exist. I've worked for both systems security and
the military. "You don't need to know that" is sufficient excuse in many
government circles.

> At any rate, security by secrecy is poor security. All it takes is
> curiosity to break it...

Agreed. If that's the only thing keeping people out, folks like me would
get into much more trouble than we do. (*insert chuckle here*) I enjoy
finding the tricks that make systems run more efficiently or interact with
other systems more successfully. However, most people don't want just
anyone exploring their system this way.

A solid security procedure with encrypted passwords, compartmentalized
access, and education for the end users is needed for minimum protection.
However, a need-to-know attitude is a legitimate attitude for _some_ more
sensitive systems or departments.

Cheers!
Lori

http://mail.yahoo.com