Re: New TECHWR-L Poll - ADD

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll - ADD
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:50:07 -0400

Dan,

Let's back off a bit and ask the more interesting question of whether ADD is truly a _medical_ condition or is really just a social construct used to label one group within the normal spectrum of human cognitive styles. Think of it as analogous to, say, grouping body types into ectomorphs, mesomorphs, and endomorphs. It helps to think that way when you're designing clothes to fit a broad spectrum of the population, but that doesn't mean one type is medically superior to another.

So if we stop talking about ADD as a medical syndrome and start asking whether different people's cognitive styles are better suited to diverse tasks, it's fair to ask whether tech writing attracts ADD types more than some other occupation--truck driving, say--attracts them.

However, I agree with you that others might exploit information shared here to the disadvantage of the person doing the sharing. So your caution is well taken.

Dick

Dan Goldstein wrote:

WADR to Lisa's good intentions, I strongly advise you all not to reveal
your personal medical conditions on this publicly and permanently
accessible list.

Furthermore, revealing anyone *else's* medical conditions might be
construed as a violation of HIPAA. I am not an expert in HIPAA, and any
input from those who are would be welcome.

Yours for privacy and regulatory compliance,

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com