Re: How much knowledge to advertise and how to advertise it?

Subject: Re: How much knowledge to advertise and how to advertise it?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 16:57:49 -0700

On Sat, 2005-06-18 at 10:52 -0400, Bill Swallow wrote:

> No, I don't recommend you do this for all the software you know. I
> might have been unclear in my previous post, but I strongly advocate
> the use of custom resumes, and I intended to suggest listing the
> common applications (like Office apps and relevant authoring tools)
> and then specifically the technologies the company is looking for.

For those to whom Bill's idea is new, I suggest maintaining a master
resume with all your skills and all your jobs are listed, as well as
several generic objectives if you use them. Then you can quickly edit
down to a resume targeted to the specific job or job category.

If you're using a program like FrameMaker or OpenOffice.org that can do
conditional text, you could streamline the process by by setting up
several different categories, such as technical writer, editor, and
manager for the items on your list.
--
Bruce Byfield 604-422-7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Inspiration and craft plus time and effort minus fear and doubt
multiplied by purpose equals song."
- Ray Wylie Hubbard

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com