Re: general topic of spelling

Subject: Re: general topic of spelling
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 05:42:14 -0400

Allow me to add a lament to my remarks on proofreading.

Peter Neilson wrote:

4 Your opinion on the topic of spelling difficulties

Personally, I find it easy to detect, in a long document, that
it has been run through a spell checker but not proofread.

George P. Flynn, PhD, passed away a little less than a year ago.
He was a difficult and occasional friend, and the finest
proofreader I've ever come across. He had a business card that
gave his profession as "preefrooder," even though he was actually
a chemist. His corrections to the minutes of the monthly
business meetings of the New England Science Fiction Association
were full of subtle humor and were an established part of the
agenda for each meeting. He is soarly mist.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com