managing, updating, incorporating 3rd-party docs

Subject: managing, updating, incorporating 3rd-party docs
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:38:14 -0700 (PDT)

Hi gang.

We integrate a number of third-party applications/technologies into our product and part of the integration process is re-labeling the documentation (switching product names, updating screen shots, etc). For example, our application integrates technology Nifty from Groovy Techi Corp. We receive the Nifty source documentation and go through and make content and formatting changes to make it consistent with our own documentation.

The process for managing these docs is pretty messy and we're working out a better way to receive, label, and integrate the docs.

One thing I've decided to do is to maintain previous versions of the 3rd-party documentation so that I can compare and locate differences between new and older documentation. Then, I can locate those differences in our own versions and make the necessary updates (diff the old and new and then update ours with those differences).

I was wondering if anyone who has experience doing these sorts of relabeling tasks can tell me how they go about it. I'm just looking for ideas to make the labeling easier and faster. Abandoning the relabeling is not an option.

Thanks in advance.

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com