Re: Telecommuting Advice?

Subject: Re: Telecommuting Advice?
From: Kate Salm <kate_salm -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 05:22:20 -0700 (PDT)

> I suggest you learn to tune things out, not just
> noise, but desires to
> re-arrange the furniture, which is really about
> procrastination and
> working in a home office takes a person that can
> multi-task well and not
> procrastinate. >

I worked at home for about 14 months and actually
found that rearranging the furniture gave me some of
my best ideas. I do it at my office even now (I just
wait until the others aren't here so that I don't
disturb them). The physical activity- rearranging
furniture, running on the treadmill gave me time to
think over problems while doing something that didn't
require a lot of thought or concentration. Even in an
office I still rearrange the furniture or take a walk
around the office building when I need to get my
thoughts together. When I worked at home I would also
stop work when friends came over or to babysit their
kids- it was one of the things that I enjoyed- being
flexible to do things like that. I had my seperate
room in the house for work and I only did work in
there, except on nice days when I would go out on the
porch and work. It is all a matter of what you are
comfortable with. I am not big on structure and
compartmentalizing my time, it's just not me. For
others thats what they like or need to be able to work
at home. Even in the office I work in, my time is
still flexible and I can come in or leave when I want,
but thats due to the organization I work for and their
belief in flexible scheduling, and I waited until I
found an organization like this to work for because of
it. Just go with what is comfortable for you,
expirament for what feels right and then adjust when
it doesn't work anymore.

http://mail.yahoo.com

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com