RE: Telecommuting Advice?

Subject: RE: Telecommuting Advice?
From: "Barbara Philbrick" <caslon -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:40:14 -0400

Track your hours. (I use HourzPro on my Palm Pilot, but pen and paper work,
too.) I work in 50 minute chunks (on the advice of a chiropractor, who
recommended moving 10 minutes out of every hour.

This works for both problems that can arise from working at home -- working
too little and working too much. I work odd hours, so keeping track of the
actual hours helps me keep things in balance. I have found that working 30
to 35 billable hours is my max; it might seem like you're not working as
much at home, but remember that you don't have water-cooler conversations
and some of the other stuff that eats up time at the office.

Depending on your social needs, you are right to be concerned. I make sure I
go to lunch with a friend once a week, plus I have a dance class on Monday
nights and attend most STC meetings.

For face time, I find that once a week at each client works well, though I
have long-time clients where it's more like once a month.

Also make sure your work space is separate from you home space. I nearly
drove myself crazy with an office in the dining room --- I never really left
home and never really left work, so the pressures of both were always on me.
You need a space you can close the door on and say, "Now I'm at home."

I love working from home and have found a balance that works, but you might
need to experiment a bit.

Good luck,

Barb