Re: Another spin-off: where to find writing jobs that are NOT IT related

Subject: Re: Another spin-off: where to find writing jobs that are NOT IT related
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 22:49:50 -0600

When I lived in Fairbanks, AK, the wife of one of the world's top long distance dog mushers was a certified medical illustrator. I can tell you that it is about as far from tech writing as you can get. If you have the ability to take photographs of operations and turn them into illustrations suitable for Gray's Anatomy, then you can probably find a job as a medical illustrator. Graphic illustrator for medical instrument manufacturers is a different story though. If you know your way around Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw and if you have technical writing skills, you could do fairly well in the medical instrument documentation field.

Al

dave -at- smackdabdesign -dot- com wrote:

Hi Mitch,

I don't suppose you have any medical illustration background, do you? A while back it seemed like every few months or so there was a job posting with the University of Michigan for a medical illustrator. Truthfully, I'm not sure about all that entails, but I imagine it could potentially be closely linked with tech writing.

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
From Concept to Completion

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create 14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com