RE: Are you familiar with Laszlo?

Subject: RE: Are you familiar with Laszlo?
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 07:46:30 -0700 (PDT)

Matt Horn wrote:
> The use of RIA has been traced to Jeremy Allaire
> in a white paper in 2002.

Thanks Matt... I stand corrected. I haven't been following MM products
so I wasn't aware "RIA" was already in heavy use over there. Haven't
heard it anywhere else, though. It's smart marketing though, since IME
people tend to associate Flash with quickie animations embedded in web
sites (it'll take YEARS for people to forget those X10 popups!)

When browser-based web apps first started emerging, there seemed to be
a lot of GUIs developed by creative graphic folks exercising their
Photoshop skills. Colorful, but I could never find where to click OK!!
Now, there seems to be a rough consensus emerging on what a web GUI
should look like, and usability seems to be better.

>From the Laszlo folks:
> With OpenLaszlo, you can make web applications that offer
> a cinematic user experience...

I hope there is a widely-used default set of widgets that are
aesthetically spartan and suited for business data-entry. That way,
we'll all get used to Flash applications looking the same way, and user
learning curves will be minimized. And if a Flash platform has
technical advantages, they'll be best apparent without heavy graphical
creativity.

Mike O.

http://mail.yahoo.com

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com