Re: Increasing your corporate value (long)

Subject: Re: Increasing your corporate value (long)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 10:53:35 -0700

I do delegate a lot of things to team members, and yeah, I *can* take
off for a few days and let the team handle things with confidence that
they will go all right, but there are some potential headaches that can only be nipped in the bud before they grow into something that needs
to be "handled" by someone at my level.
My solution to getting away from stress was to move to a seaside
resort community. I can feel stress draining out of me every evening
as I drive over the hill and get closer to the ocean, and once I'm home
I can even log into the office by wireless VPN and head off new sources of stress while I sit on the deck and watch/listen to the waves crashing on the shore and it doesn't feel like work. It's like taking a mini-vacation every night instead of having to wait months for one. :)

Gene

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>

I disagree. The stress of work is always there. By your argument I can
imagine that you probably don't take much vacation time off, either.

Escapes from the office are important. By managing the stress and
delegating responsibilities to capable people in your absence, you can
minimize the returning stress and keep the team working smoothly in
your absence. I usually delegate some of my responsibilities to
several others, this way no one is overrun with stuff to do when I'm
out. It frees you up to focus on whatever it is you're traveling for
(conference, other office visit, vacation, whatever) and gives others
on your team some experience with some responsibilities they might not
otherwise get, while not overloading them at the same time.

Works for me, anyway. :-)

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create 14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com