Transitioning Text Across Platforms

Subject: Transitioning Text Across Platforms
From: Peter Gold <peter -at- knowhowpro -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:18:51 -0500

Hi, Kenneth:

If you're new to InDesign, you really should start at the beginning with it, by going through tutorials, creating some publications, cruising the Adobe User-to-User forums.

You can "place" (import) Word files into InDesign, and you can ignore Word formatting if it's something you want to leave behind. However, you can also use Word style names, if they're done consistently. You can change the appearance of named styles, or keep the Word appearance.

I'm interested to know if there is a compelling reason that you're making this change, other than PTBSS ("powers that be say so")?

InDesign is weak in numbering, lacks cross-references and other features that are important in complex technical publications. ID's layout and typographic tools are terrific, of course. Its open scripting feature - Applescript, Visual Basic, and/or cross-platform JavaScript - can help automate lots of production steps. There are free and commercial script libraries and plug-in tools that help overcome the missing built-in features.

Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create 14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com