Re: technical interview of tech writers

Subject: Re: technical interview of tech writers
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 13:26:13 -0700

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 13:09 -0700, dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com wrote:
> > I would strongly recommend that you are dresses for the phone
> > interview as if you were in a face-to-face interview. Sit up straight
> > and smile. All this will come through over the phone.
>
> I don't know that attire has any effect.

It depends on the person. For some people, this advice would help them
focus on the fact that they are doing an interview. For others -- like
me-- it would only add to the tension because it would seem artificial
and make me feel slightly ridiculous.

Personally, I've done at least a dozen phone interviews while wearing
shorts and a T-shirt and no socks. I can't remember any in which I
didn't get at least a followup in-person interview. In about half, I got
the job -- one of which was the best job I've ever had.

However, I know others who claim just as strong results by preparing as
if for an in-person interview.
--
Bruce Byfield 604-421.7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com