RE: Euphemisms and alternate keywords for "Recover"

Subject: RE: Euphemisms and alternate keywords for "Recover"
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 16:17:41 -0400

Thanks to Michelle and Doug for some useful suggestions.
Now, as for Susan W. Gallagher [mailto:sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net]
who helped out with:

> "Unlock" is good; so is "lock". I'd also use "access",
> "login", "forgot" (or "forget" maybe), "password", and
> "backdoor" for starters.
>
> I'd also be sorely tempted to insert a couple of four-letter
> expletives, but depending on the product, you prolly couldn't
> get away with it. Imagine the scenario: User tries
> everything, can't get into the system. Opens help. Mind's a
> blank. In ultimate frustration, user types f*** and bangs
> down on the Enter key. Help system responds with, "To access
> the system after forgetting your password..."

Some good ones there, too. I'll throw them all in.
Except "backdoor". That's a real no-no in a security and
crypto context. Hell, my keyboard began to heat up in
just the two seconds it took me to type it here...
Do I smell brimstone?

I actually did include "oh no" as an index item. :-)
Seemed relatively harmless, yet apropos.

As for the "bad" words, I'm using RoboHelp X5, writing
WebHelp... Obviously, I can't put politically unacceptable
words into the index terms, because those show up as a displayed list.

What about the search terms? Do the experts think that it
would be safe to include a whole s**tload of marginal terms
in the html of the page (as comments?) as some flavor of
non-displayed text? I don't mind taking my chances with vulgarisms
if a person would need to really go out of their way to find them.
I just don't want to include them in a way that they could be
accidentally displayed without the user having to type them first.

If they are already at the Recover help page and choose
"Show source", well I consider them to be "jes askin' fer it".

kevin

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com