Re: Contracting practices question

Subject: Re: Contracting practices question
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 08:52:36 -0700

rjstevenson -at- sprynet -dot- com wrote:

I'm new at this and leery of failing to pursue anything that might turn into work, but I also don't want to overcommit.

When I was consulting full-time, I nearly always had two or more projects at different stages of development with multiple clients. Sometimes there was a major project and a minor one or two, sometimes there were several minor projects, and yes, sometimes there were two major projects...and that meant burning the midnight oil to stay on schedule. Generally, though, things had a way of levelling out: the inevitable lulls in one project would dovetail nicely with the surges of activity in another.

The benefits: For me, having multiple projects kept me from having periods of reduced activity (billable hours!) when a project slowed down and dry spells between projects. It was also just more interesting than working on one project at a time. For my clients, it helped protect them from potential claims by the IRS that I was just an employee for whom they wanted to avoid payroll taxes. (Of course, working off-site on my own equipment was part of that, too.) I've had clients mention that to me, so I know it was important to at least some of them, usually the bigger ones.

Sure, it's a bit of a balancing act, but it was one of the things I liked best about the way my consulting business worked out.

--David

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com

HTML Indexer is still the easiest way to create and maintain real indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com