Re: Tech Writers as Hourly Employees?!

Subject: Re: Tech Writers as Hourly Employees?!
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 23:26:11 -0400

Joe Malin wrote:

A former colleague of mine informs me that my old company is switching
all its technical writers to be hourly employees (non-exempt). I am
amazed. Has anyone else experienced this?

Seen it. If fringes don't change and the hourly rate is a normalization of the prior salary, who cares? A lot of folks put in more than 40 hours for no premium.

The supposed advantage of a salary is security, but there is no security. What's left? Prestige. What's that worth to non-suckers? Bubkes.

Be careful, though. The supervisors of converted salarymen are in a tough spot. Labor classification changes are ordered from above, yet expectations and budgets hold steady. I believe a primary reason for reclassifying is to pressure the management chain. So always keep the meter running, by all means, but stay cool for your boss's sake while the system adapts.

There's a bigger reason for reclassification, and it's churn. Some employees will feel slighted (go figure), moreso the senior, ambitious, better-paid salarymen, and some will leave -- without having to be let go. Many won't be replaced, and if they are it'll be at less compensation. No-cost streamlining: the velvet crowbar.

Don't over-think. Reclassification is one of the *last* adjustments, but if you reckon it portends more trouble and leave on your own ... Bonus Churn! Yeah, baby.

It's not evil, just how the big wheel turns these days. Eyes wide open, log all your time, and -- generally -- don't bite and stay put.

LQ

ps. See? Switching to Business Analyst ain't so tough.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com