Re: Another Newbie question about procedures

Subject: Re: Another Newbie question about procedures
From: HBacheler -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 12:58:39 EDT

Mary, et al

It might seem logical to have each step stand alone.

Especially if someone 'added' one or more steps in the process that you are
documenting.

There should relative be a one to one relationship to the action.

In my writing, I have drawn some simple logic flows, diagrams, even DFD's to
ensure that I know the process.

If we as tech writers are involved from 'day one' of the project, we can aid
in ensuring that the flow of information, decision-making, and pitfalls are
identified early in the 'game'. We can ask questions, make suggestions, and
begin the outline of our documents to reflect 'what the heck is going on'.

It then relatively easy to talk to the SMEs, engineers, and process owners
and ask informed questions.

Again, more food for thought.

Harry

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com