Re: TOOLS: Seeking "speshul" ergonomic chair

Subject: Re: TOOLS: Seeking "speshul" ergonomic chair
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 15:06:29 -0500

Kevin,

Muscles that develop "knots" are frequently a small problem that can
become larger. Usually, they are also slightly warmer than the
surrounding area.

When they are small, often they can be speedily relieved by a steady
pressure from a thumb for thirty seconds to a minute or so. The person
using the thumb can actually feel the muscle release.

While I was doing a contract in California some years ago, to get away
from the 12-14 hours per day of computer work I took a massage therapy
course. I had become interested in ergonomics and such, so I found it
a very good relaxation while also getting good education.

I was single at the time, and I figured at the very least when I
finally located "Mrs. Right" I would at least have learned to rub her
the right way! 8:)

The best research on trigger point, also called "referred pain", was
done by Dr. Janet Travel many years ago. Most of you will not recall,
but she was the personal physician for JFK. She did a colossal
two-volume work on referred pain that was a classic in the field.
Essentially, you can be injured in one place but feel the pain
elsewhere--and Dr. Travel (sp?) mapped it out fairly thoroughly,
although I am sure others have done more work on the subject in the
years since.

David

On 5/17/05, mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com <mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:

> By the way, the pain in my arm was very real (as in, not just in
> my head, and there was a lump the size of a walnut to prove it
> (an inflamed supinator muscle... the "beer-drinking muscle"),
> but it steadfastly ignored local treatment. The physio guy finally
> traced it to an equal-sized knot in my back, and referred me down
> the hall to a massage therapist, who gleefully inflicted considerable
> pain with her sharp elbows. But once she'd reduced the upper-back
> trigger-point (took a few weeks), the arm responded quickly.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com