Leprosy

Subject: Leprosy
From: Michele <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 13:59:11 -0500

Well, since we all love to play the semantical arguing game, leprosy is actually more commonly known as Hansen's disease. If the original poster would have said THAT, would all the "Hansen's" or even "Hanson's" on the list be offended. I mean, honestly.

I take the opposite position than David simply b/c I saw the word Leprosy and as Andrew Plato says, used "the magical power of Delete," b/c I wanted to stay away from whatever topic that was about. So, it looks like the pendulum swings both ways. Someone saw "leprosy" and wanted to know more, whereas I saw leprosy and did not want to know anymore.

As an aside, most of us on this list come from some form of privilege, and I'm not talking prep school and an expensive college. I'm talking about the fact that, by far, the majority of posters on techwhirler live nowhere near leprosy-centers: Brazil, Mozambique, Nepal, Madagascar, blah, blah, blah. Leprosy is also NOT seen with the same connotations as it did 500 years ago, with the inception of antibiotics if most of us contracted it we would also be privileged enough to get antibiotics ad naseum to fight off the infection. I, personally, have a blood disorder. 20 years ago barely any general practice physician or internist knew about my condition. Now the surgical procedure to help with the blood disorder is performed laproscopically, which, in turn, means my sons, who through the genetic throw of the dice, have the disease are privileged.

Michele

---------------
Michele E. Davis, Writer
Kraut Companies
612-824-3516
612-309-6903 (cell)
www.krautgrrl.com
www.krautboy.com
and the uber geek empyre

James Jones wrote:

Thanks David. No, I don't believe people need to check every piece of
language to make sure it does not offend, but 'Leprosy' in particular is
a very bad disease and there is probably no one on this list who can
stand up for people who have the disease. As to the 'draw' of the word. A more precise description of the
problem might have been in order.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com