Re: Looking for a directory mapping tool

Subject: Re: Looking for a directory mapping tool
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 09:38:41 -0500

FYI:

Some of these create searchable lists, some create HTML files with
links to the files (which may also be edited to give detailed info on
the files, obviously). I vastly prefer a utility that does not require
stop-gap manipulation such as exporting to Excel...

Among these you should find just what you're after: all are freeware
that cost nothing.

"Visual CD is a disk cataloging tool to index data CDs, floppy disks,
hard drives and even folders. Once indexed, you can explore the CD
catalogs, search files and folders without having the physical disk in
the drive. A built-in favorites manager allows you to easily manage
multiple catalogs, and a powerful search feature lets you search
across multiple catalogs. The program comes with several additional
options, you can split files into smaller pieces, extract ZIP, RAR and
CAB archives, rename files, copy the entire CD to a new location and
more. Visual CD provides a clean and attractive interface and optional
Explorer integration from the right click menu. "
http://boozet.xepher.net/
Cost: $0 (freeware)

"LookDisk is a Freeware-Disktool with following functions:
Search for files using various parameters (also within ZIP, ARJ, RAR,
LZH, & CAB-Files)
Search for a text in any file (also within ZIP, ARJ, RAR, LZH, & CAB-Files)
Search for duplicate files by name or content (also within ZIP, ARJ,
RAR, LZH, & CAB-Files)
Show disk overview
User entries are saved and do not have to be re-entered each time
LookDisk is started.
The list of found files can be saved or printed.
LookDisk can handle large amount of files without using lots of system
resources.
LookDisk is compatible with Window95/98/ME/2000/NT/XP."
http://www.fxsearch.com/ldw_eng/
---------------------------------------

"Directory Lister lets you list all the files you have in selected
directories on your hard disk, cd-rom, floppy etc. You can select
individual directories and then save the list as text or HTML file.
You can customize the report output in many aspects, include or
exclude details, specify sorting, background color and more. "
http://freeware.prv.pl/

------------------------------------
"File Detective allows you to create a simple HTML index of files in a
drive or folder. You can choose to include all files or limit the
output to certain file types (e.g mp3). File Detective allows you to
save individual report files or to append to an existing one - this
way for example you can keep track of files on multiple CDs without
having to re-insert the actual disks. The program creates report files
only, it does not offer any search functions for existing reports. "
http://users.pandora.be/kenvh/download/
----------------------------------

HTH,

David

On 5/17/05, Susan Guttman <Susan -dot- Guttman -at- contactft -dot- com> wrote:

> I want to map out the contents of the directory so that we can all go over
> them with the departing font o' knowledge before her departure, and I was
> hoping to find a tool that could map out a directory structure and files and
> export that information to Excel or the equivalent (CSV output or somesuch).
> I could then use the Excel file to record the location and function of each
> file for posterity, i.e. me and the other writers.
>
> A tool this useful must already be out there. Can anybody point me in the
> right direction?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com