Re: Techwriter Justification

Subject: Re: Techwriter Justification
From: "Poster" <Poster -at- aurora -dot- cotse -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 20:01:18 -0400 (EDT)

Suzette Leeming said:
> I have an urgent request... I need to see how this software company of
> approx. 80 employees compares with similar sized software companies,
> with respect to techwriters.
>
> Apparently, this company wants all that I can give them, by September,
> while squeezing it into another full time job. I'm a bit in shock
> here, I thought they realized this was a full-time effort.
>
> So, if anybody works in a software company that comes close in size,
> could you let me know how many developers per how many techwriters?
>
> If I should be asking other questions too, please let me know.

I used to work at a place that sounds like where you are. It was about
the same size, and featured 6 or so developers (I was never sure just
how many contractor developers there were) and one tech writer.

In such situations, one techwriter isn't enough, especially one TW
part time. I'm not really sure such situations are salvagable. (I
really don't want to be a downer here, but usually the assumptions
descend from the top and involve high TW turnover.)

~Poster

+ www.intaligo.com/mt +
+ Professional Editing/Web Design +
+ www.intaligo.com/mt +