Re: A newbie question relevant to recent discussions on the divide between engineers and writers

Subject: Re: A newbie question relevant to recent discussions on the divide between engineers and writers
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 12:35:51 -0400

Barbara G. Devney, Ph. D. wrote:

> Below is what I communicated in a second email after getting no response.

This was apparently the intimidating email.
Any suggestions on how to improve my communications skills. Or do you think
perhaps intimidating was a bit overdone?

[snip]

Mr. Becraft your responsibility is for Nos. 5, 8, 11, 12 and 13

Mr. Barbe you have Nos. 1, 2, 3,4, and 6.

It might be easier for all of us

I think the crux of the problem is in those three lines, plus your return address.

I don't know where you work, but your email address suggests that you are at least in the US (I'm guessing). In most US work environments, engineers are addressed by their first names. Your company may have a particularly formal culture, and I in no way mean to suggest that you should go against that grain if it's there.

I'm just saying you should listen to the folks around you and read email and printed memos that are circulated. If everyone else calls Mr. Becraft Bill or Ted or whatever his first name is, you should, too. You are coming out of an academic environment, and this may seem unnatural and uncomfortable to you. But you should overcome your discomfort and do it anyway.

Second, I'm thrilled that you've earned a Ph.D. I hope you have the sheepskin hanging on your bedroom wall where you can gaze at it every night as you fall asleep and again in the morning when you wake. And it should certainly be listed in your résumé or CV. But boasting about it in your email address, listing it on your business card, hanging your diploma on your cubicle wall, and mentioning it on your way to the cafeteria are all considered a bit odd in most business environments. Depending on your demeanor, you might be coming across as either egotistical/arrogant or as insecure/compensating.

Third, I'm sure you meant, "it might be easier for all of us" in only the most polite and self-effacing way. However, someone who doesn't yet know you well and who is already on guard because of the formality of your form of address might color those words with a tone of disdain and be quite put off: Oh, what she REALLY means is she's gonna make trouble if I don't. Well, we'll just see who makes trouble for whom, young lady.

So you could express the same sentiment in a bit friendlier, more colloquial way by saying, "I have an idea that might make things easier. Let me know what you think about it. ..." In general, "I" statements are less threatening than "it might" statements.

So anyway, as I said, I don't know where you work. And I don't know whether any of this advice applies where you work. Run it through your own filters and see if any of it makes sense.

Dick

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com