Re: Friday humor

Subject: Re: Friday humor
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 11:52:21 -0400

Let's hope the sensitive computers aren't being used by sensitive employees. ;-)

TechComm tie-in... here's a prime example of why brevity is not always
a good thing in writing. News thrives on brevity, and often does
itself a disservice because in reducing words and looking for higher
impact vocabulary, the message they send in their articles becomes
fuzzy or incorrect.

I'm big on using more words to describe and explain in techcomm, not
for the sake of using more words, but to ensure the message is clear.
Yes, I use "Click OK." and "Click Next." a lot (here it makes sense to
be brief - when the concept surrounding the action is familiar). But
when concept becomes complex or new, I tie each major step back to the
purpose of the action.

On 5/13/05, Downing, David <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com> wrote:

> I realize this is pushing the envelope a bit as far as what's acceptable
> for this list, but I got an okay from the powers that be, on the
> condition hat I wait until Friday. And there is a tenuous technical
> communication tie in. It has to do with the connotation of a statement
> that's worded in a certain way.
>
> I heard a news story the other day about someone facing criminal charges
>
> for hacking into a group of "sensitive computers." Of course, I know
> what they meant, but I had an image of all the computers whining and
> crying, "Please don't reboot me. I'll be so hurt if you reboot me."

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com