RE: Javascript

Subject: RE: Javascript
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 11:23:11 -0700

Dear Tom,

I don't know of any tutorials that are particularly useful. I can offer
my *advice*, though.

1. As someone else already said, look for examples, then copy and paste.
2. Most of the time, you use Javascript to retrieve and store
information by using the API/Object
Model. Several object models may be available to you, depending on
what you're doing.
3. The most common object model is the HTML Object Model aka Document
Object Model (DOM) aka
client-side Javascript. This is simply an API that allows you to
manipulate things inside
your HTML code in an object-oriented way.
4. Therefore, if you don't know much about object-oriented programming,
start there. All you
need is the basics.
5. The basics are:
1. what objects, attributes, and methods are
2. how to refer to them in code.
3. understanding inheritance, so you can find object, method, or
attribute definitions in
the documentation you have.

Joe