Re: LONG - A colloquial writing style?

Subject: Re: LONG - A colloquial writing style?
From: Ellen McDaniel <ellen -at- vidiom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 12:11:17 -0600

Bill brings up a good point. In my mind, it goes back to audiences. Colloquialisms don't always translate well. At a past company, my manager had used the phrase "beating a dead horse" at the end of a long section on file systems. That was 12-15 years ago and I still all too clearly remember trying to explain the phrase to our overseas translators. They were very diligent and even though I kept assuring them that removing the entire sentence wouldn't change the meaning of the paragraph, they insisted on understanding the phrase. After several phone calls and email exchanges, they finally did remove it because they realized their audience would be more confused by it than anything else.

That said, I've seen colloquialisms used very effectively several times to explain abstract concepts by putting the concept into terms the audience can relate to.

Ellen

Bill Swallow wrote:

We localize into over 20 languages. We literally can't afford to
include colloquialisms in our documentation.

On 5/10/05, Steven Brown <stevenabrown -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

I'm curious to hear if anyone's writing technical
documentation using a less formal, more colloquial
style. (Notice I did not say grammatically incorrect!)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com