Re: resume fondling -- am I being too picky?

Subject: Re: resume fondling -- am I being too picky?
From: marijane -at- computer -dot- org
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 10:33:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Dana J. Parker wrote:

> Good grief. I went back and reformatted my entire resume just so nobody
> thinks I don't know how to use styles in Word. Of course, there are no
> spelling, grammar, punctuation errors or run-on sentences already. It
> just never occurred to me that someone would look at /styles/,
> especially when Word can be so arbitrary in how it auto-assigns styles
> to parts of a single-page document.

My sentiments exactly.

I spent five years working as a Windows application compatibility tester
at Microsoft before I ventured into technical writing. Among testers,
Word's styles (and auto-bullet/numbering features, which I noticed someone
ranting about this week) are known as bug mines. I don't find using them
worthwhile for short documents; fighting with broken software is a waste
of time.

marijane

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com