Re: Click or Click on vs. Press

Subject: Re: Click or Click on vs. Press
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 15:36:17 -0400

Do it the same way all the time.

Press seems more appropriate for touch screens and physical hardware
buttons, though it's probably clear enough to the reader what you
mean.

I use click ... I perceive that "on" is unnecessary unless you also
need to "click off" or "click up," etc.

On 4/29/05, A.H. <isaac840 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> Hello, all,
>
> We just set standards for a help file and I don't
> agree with one of them. For performing tasks, someone
> chose press instead of click or click on. E.g., Press
> the back button to return to a previous screen.
>
> I don't like it. What seems to be standard for
> documentation? Click or press?

======
T.

Remember, this is online. Take everything with a mine of salt and a grin.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com