RE: Just can't help myself

Subject: RE: Just can't help myself
From: "Giordano, Connie" <connie -dot- giordano -at- twcable -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:15:26 -0400

Martin wrote:

>It's my way of saying that arbitrary standards will not fit what is a
very diverse and "hard-to-pin-down" profession. For the record, I agree
with you that someone should show hard statistics in terms of hiring,
salary, and retention (For a start) to prove that certifications lead to
better jobs for TW's. What else might you suggest?<

Martin, Other communications professions are just as hard to pin down,
cross many industries, and have the same amount of diversity as
technical communications. And they've had professional accreditation or
certification for decades-I received accreditation for PR in 1989-and I
couldn't even apply to take the exam until I'd been practicing for a
minimum of five years. IABC also has a very rigorous certification
program, and business communications has to be about as diverse as it
gets. So, whether or not you believe in certification, the argument that
it's impossible because of the diversity of the profession doesn't hold
water.

>Now that I absolutely disagree with. Not the idea that we need to be
industry-savvy, but the idea that writing is the minor, mechanical part
of the job. If writing doesn't count, then what are we, really?
What is our purpose?<

Writing is a minor part of my job, communications of all types take up
the rest of my time.

FYI, There are many companies who look at certifications the current
panacea to organizational issues.... In those cases it doesn't matter
whether or not a certification proves you can do what you say you
can--your employer is holding it as a requirement for advancement. And I
would venture to say that in those companies, the lack of available,
credible certification merely adds to the misperception about the value
(or lack thereof) of what we do.

MTC
Connie Giordano
Knowledge Management Supervisor
Time Warner Cable
7910 Crescent Executive Drive
Charlotte, NC 28217
Phone: 704-731-3755
Mobile: 704-957-8450
AIM: rightwords43

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com