Re: The sky is starting to fall again

Subject: Re: The sky is starting to fall again
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:45:53 -0400

eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:

Granted I'm not up to speed on WordML

I'm not either. There's a recent précis on the state of MS Office XML at O'Reilly:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6649

The author never quite gets around to the thing everyone wants to know: does WordProcessingML constitute the opening of the MS Word file format? He *does* say that saving native MS Word to WordProcessingML creates crazy-quilt XML, but is hopeful this will improve. What's not said is whether users can -- perhaps with difficulty -- sort-out a de facto DTD for WordProcessingML and create fully-featured MS Word documents with a text editor or programmatically, as can be done with OpenOffice files. That would mean universal interchange is/will be possible, but it's not clear to me that that's even a Microsoft goal. I suspect it's not.

The test is whether there'll be a public namespace and DTD(s).

No sale.

As to what this all means for Adobe a few miles down the road, wouldn't it be cool if, as a defiant act of ritual suicide, the last person out of Adobe GPL-ed its products? Of course, it would suck to be an Adobe stockholder on that day.

Then again, isn't the purpose of MS's Metro announcement to hasten that day? I think the subliminal message is "Sell Adobe now." If so, I'll correct myself: it's not a hammer, it's a shiv.

LQ

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com