Re: OOo Writer and FrontPage

Subject: Re: OOo Writer and FrontPage
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:58:35 -0400

I must report that the FrontPage 4.0 markup I've been sent is nothing like the garbage FrontPage 2000 used to generate.

It used to be that WYSIWYG HTML editors all generated awful markup, with FrontPage's about three times as awful as the pack. FrontPage seems to have caught-up by cleaning up. It's still a limited tool, but limited in the ways that WYSIWYG editors probably must be. An experienced XHTML/CSS hand will lose both control and speed, but I suppose inexperienced folks might find WYSIWYG editors useful -- for awhile. XHTML really is quite simple. For static pages such as FrontPage generates, a text editor and a web browser form a complete IDE.

Nvu (www.nvu.com) is worth a look if you crave WYSIWYG. Essentially it's the next-generation Mozilla Composer. If you're gonna use these tools, might as well use a free, standards-compliant one, and take another step away from MS Office. Microsoft doesn't own XHTML, so if FrontPage's markup is clean there's no way to claim an 'integration' benefit. Nvu's available for Windows, Linux and OS X.

LQ

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com