Re: Citations for ragged (natural) right margin?

Subject: Re: Citations for ragged (natural) right margin?
From: "Jerry Muelver" <jerry -at- hytext -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:17:39 -0500

From: "Geoff Hart"

I rarely disagree with Leah, but I have to say that this statement is nonsense as written. It's true in the absolute sense only if you restrict your discussion to full justification without hyphenation, where you can end up with horrible rivers, and it's arguably true if the context is (as noted in the quoted excerpt) early-90s automated justification in Word and other word processors.

I'm a fan of ragged-right, and have been for years. However, it is possible to produce river-less full-justified text even in a monospace font, if
1. the client requires it, and
2. the writer has a bit of skill and
3. a lot of time on his or her hands.

See "How to justify type", the opening discussion at http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Art_Sackett