Re: Why should I be worried about the merger? NOT

Subject: Re: Why should I be worried about the merger? NOT
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:08:53 -0400

> > Change is inevitable, but WE are the change agents!
>
> Agree. The machinations of Microsoft, Adobe, Macromedia and similar
> mature vendors are beginning to pull against us. It's time to start
> plotting a course away from them, or be slaves.

Right. I'll go to my CTO right now and tell him that we need to flush
our $XX million investment in Microsoft technology down the toilet
immediately and spend the next year installing Linux on every machine
in the joint and look for Open Source alternatives to all our
applications. ;-)

Oh, so much for that .NET SDK I'm working on... ;-)

> I think techcomms everywhere should be testing OpenOffice, AbiWord,
> The GIMP, Inkscape and Scribus *now*. Folks doing Web work should
> be running Apache (not IIS) locally; try XAMPP for this (Apache2,
> php5, Perl, MySQL server). And whatever *can* be XML *should* be
> XML, or in a database (MySQL? PostgreSQL?)

Testing, perhaps. But, it's silly to suggest that everyone jump ship
based on paranoia-soaked projections.

> We have no one to blame if we're caught in corporate crossfire.
> Replacement tools exist today. And they're free.

And get 'em while they're hot, because they'll all be gone tomorrow!
Right? <vbg>

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com